Despite a nearly $20 million boost in combined building and non-building aid for Yonkers schools in the state budget, the funding falls far short of what the district asked for and leaves a $28 million hole in next year’s school budget, according to Superintendent Michael Yazurlo.
Yazurlo said in a statement Monday that without another $28 million, the district will have to cut all sports, all elementary music and arts, all elementary and middle school library services and other positions including teachers. The district had asked the state for $89 million more in aid for next year to build back from years of staffing cuts.
The statement accused Gov. Andrew Cuomo of ignoring the district’s needs.
Yonkers started the budget season with a $28 million shortfall because it got a one-time bailout last year to soften the consequences of a devastating accounting error. Another $18 million more would be needed to keep current programs because of built-in cost increases. The $89 million would have funded many new positions.
Yazurlo said the $28 million given to the Yonkers schools last year must be built into its annual aid so they get it every year.
“The Governor disappointed me as he did not recognize that the $28 million is an essential part of our budget,” Yazurlo said. “Without the reoccurring revenue Yonkers children, once again, lose a sound basic education that is their right and must be provided by the State.”
For more information on the Yonkers school budget click here.
Photo: Yonkers Superintendent Michael Yazurlo